Contributors’ Step-By-Step Guide
Eumundi Voice welcomes content contributions such as news items and stories from individuals, clubs, groups and organisations. These are included free of charge.
Download the six-page Eumundi Voice Kit for Advertisers and Contributors – in two formats – either interactive or to download and print.
Start writing your first draft with your key points and add in details as you go. Approximately 250 words is the right amount to get your key information across. Consider: what the event was, who was there, the purpose, when it happened, what people thought about it.
Download and read the writing guide.
Advertorials are branded and the space required is chargeable as per the Advertising Rate Card 2020 (page 3 of the Kit).
Complete the Magazine, Website and Social Media Release Form (page 6 of the Kit). It is common practice for publications to use this type of form: you give Eumundi Voice permission to publish your material (story, photo or other item) in the magazine, social media or website.
The same form is for both adult contributor/s and children (under 18 years of age). For a story, photo or item written or taken by an adult, complete the Release Form. For story, photo or item written or taken by a child (under 18 years old) the Release Form must be completed and signed by the child’s parent or guardian.
You can either post the original completed Release Form to PO Box 161 Eumundi, QLD 4562, or make a scan or take a photograph and email it to hello@EumundiVoice.com.au
Eumundi Voice cannot consider your contribution without the completed Release Form/s.
- Do I have to do a new Release Form for every contribution? No. Your completed Release Form is kept by Eumundi Voice and remains current for all issues unless you submit a request to withdraw your permission, and this is acknowledged by email from Eumundi Voice.
- Do I have to get a separate signed Release Form from every adult mentioned in my contribution? No. One Release Form from the author is sufficient. However, it is good practice for members of your group to view your material before it is submitted, to make sure everyone is in agreement.
- Do I have to get a separate signed Release Form for every child mentioned in my contribution? No. One Release Form from the author is sufficient. However, it is good practice for parents and guardians to view your material before it is submitted to make sure everyone is in agreement.
- Do I have to get a separate signed Release Form for every child photographed in my contribution? YES. It is especially important that parents and guardians are in agreement with their child’s/children’s image/s being published in a magazine, social media or website.
Check the Advertising and Content Deadline Diary (page 4 of the Kit) to make sure your contribution reaches Eumundi Voice by the 3pm deadline for each publication date. If you are writing about an upcoming event, it is important to make sure you send in your material well before the deadline. Decide if you should take out an advertisement as well as your story—now that people have read your story—to promote your upcoming event.
Share your draft within your group, club or organisation. It’s important for others to review your draft to add in parts you may have forgotten, to make sure it’s accurate, names are spelt correctly, it’s interesting, has an engaging style and has a high standard of grammar and punctuation. Decide on a catchy title or heading.
Choose one or two photographs to accompany your text. Write a caption for each photograph. Identify each person, with name and position in the organisation “from left”. Do not begin a caption with names. It’s great to include high resolution (hi res) photographs, typically 1.5MB to 3.5MB or larger. This ensures your photograph will look attractive when it’s printed. Photographs you have sent or received via sms or messenger are usually too small a file size to be of good enough quality to be printed in a magazine. Photographs can be in JPG format (also called JPEG).
Do not organise the text, captions, photographs and title into a one-page document, because the Eumundi Voice graphic designer will do this for you. It easier for our designer to work with your story if it’s in separate parts.
- Email your contribution to hello@EumundiVoice.com.au
- Send words and your title within the email, or attach a word document.
- Attach your photograph/s as JPG file/s. Include the captions.
- Attach all completed Release Form/s as scans or photographs. Or, you can post the originals.
Your story may be edited by our Eumundi Voice team and adjusted to fit available pages.